Today's required reading is the Nielsen Global Video Report on How People Watch (embedded, below).
Highlights from the report:
- Multiple platforms are a global phenomenon.
- Asia-Pacific consumers are leading the rest of the world in online and mobile consumption. But don't assume that "market lag will buy (your business) time."
- Cutting-edge technologies - like iPad and 3DTV - are important to affluent early adopters. Their influence on consumption of cross-platform video "should not be overstated."
- HDTV adoption is highest among older consumers who live in North America.
- 70 per cent of online consumers watch online video (surprise: mostly at work!), but North Americans and Europeans lag in adoption.
- Tablets (iPads, etc.) and 3DTV are catching on to the tune of 11 and 12 per cent of global online consumers, respectively, who have one or plan to buy one.
- TV with Internet connections are becoming more available and in demand.